Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Enterprise Architecture for Me Inc

Like most modern executives, I need to deal with huge amount of emails, documents, applications, websites, devices... And in all these, I need to think about how best to backup important materials, ensure that key information can be located when needed, and that sensitive information is safeguarded. 

Recently I have been interested in Enterprise Architecture, and one core of this subject is about doing the IT Planning for an Enterprise.  Can I apply the same tools and methodology, if I were to treat myself as the enterprise?  I feel that it is possible.

So I intend to give this a try with three objectives: firstly is to bring order to the mess of information and information technologies that I have to deal with.  Secondly is to use this as a practice project for me to understand Enterprise Architecture better.  And thirdly, I hope the lessons I learn here can be generalised to help other executives like myself.

I plan to use the TOGAF methodology, and I hope to do several quick, short iterations so that I can realise benefits very quickly (especially in view that I probably don’t have much time to spend on this) and to figure the best way to do this.  Here’s my plan for each iteration:

  1. Current State Analysis
  2. Goal State Architecture
  3. Implementation Plan

Some principles that I want to adhere by:

  1. 80-20 rule.  Don’t be a perfectionist, don’t try to get it perfect in the first round.  Over time, I can go back and refine it and make the architecture and process better and better.
  2. Have short, quick iterations that realises benefits quickly. I don’t have a lot of time to spend on this, so this is the only way this will work.  Ideally, I can generate something useful during each iteration of 30minutes.
  3. Document, document, document.  I think this is the only way I can ensure coherence across small chunk of time distributed over a long period.

No comments:

Post a Comment